Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression
Image Detail


In the 60’s in the South was a time of extreme prejudice for African American’s. I was 6 or 7 years old when my Grandfather and I was at a store and I had to use the facilities and we were told that there was none for “niggers” my Grandfather was in his late 60’s at the time and had seen and been the target of more  prejudices than anyone I knew. I remember the look on his face, he did not say anything to this clerk and I wondered why he was so sad only later to find out just how people who do not have the same color skin as I do often treat people of color negatively. He later told me how I must be careful of what I do and say when I am away from home because he loved me so much and did not want anything to happen to me. Later I came to understand that although we were good enough to spend our money we were not good enough to be treated with dignity. The same family still owns the store and the children now operate it. I went to school with one of the children who no one would imagine came from the same family due to her compassionate ways towards others.

Equality was diminished by not respecting me and my Grandfather. At the time this incident brought up feelings of shame of being a little colored girl and not feeling worthy and less than. It also made me feel bad for my Grandfather because I know he would have liked to express his opinion but was afraid for our safety if he were to speak out.

I believe that if the clerk would have to change her views and that we are all human and all are worthy of being respected and if the situation was reversed she would have a better appreciation of what people of color have had to, and still are dealing with and most likely will continue to experience until the end of time.






5 comments:

Chris said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with your Grandfather. I cannot fathom the hurt it causes. I think this memory is an image that you will use to teach others as an example of why we need to fight prejudice, and discrimination at every level.
Thank you
Chris

Joey Mazzei said...

Debra,
I was a child during the early 60's. Your story brings tears to my eyes because I remember when we were not sensitive to treating each other with respect and dignity and am so sad that it continues today. I believe that we are capable of continuing to change. I am hopeful that through awareness we can continue to accept and respect one another for our uniqueness and what we have to offer. We can't change the past, but we can learn from it and work toward change for the future.
Thank you for sharing such a painful memory. I am sorry for the cruel and insensitive treatment you and your family endured.
Joey

elizabeth turner said...

I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. It is sad that we are still being treated as second-class citizens even in today's society. I have met people such as the store clerk although I have never been called a "nigger." When I run into ignorance, I choose to ignore it and not frequent those places of business. My money will not advance ignorance.

Heather said...

Even though the signs white only and colored only are no longer hanging I still feel sometimes in our society as if I am not welcomed. Being treated as a second class citizen is sad for anyone. Your experience has left a mark on your life and it is sad because it is so unnecessary. What gives anyone the right to dislike someone because they are different? ignorance, Thank you for sharing!

cutepreschoolers said...

Your experience of about 50 years ago is what some of us are still experiencing today. I was at a job fair recently and a recruiter simply told me that his school is not interested in employing a black! I was puzzled as well as bitter with this statement. It took courage for me not to cause a scene at the venue of the fair. I think it is high time the society declare a total war on all forms of discriminations, stereotypes, and prejudice.