Saturday, March 24, 2012

1994
                                                                               2000      


Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

This week I made me think back to a conversation I had not long ago with my cousin. I have always been a little overweight but as I have gotten older and the health issues I have encountered over the past few years with having total knee replacement and foot surgery to repair bone spurs and torn ligaments I have gained more than I would like and in the conversation with my cousin I was complaining about how I am not losing as much as I have been trying to and she said “but you are still cute”! I know she did not mean any harm but she has made the statement before and I did not make anything of it but since I now know that was a  microaggresion, I will be mindful not to make that statement to anyone again because I have made a similar comment to a friend.

In this case discrimination, prejudice or stereotyping was not observed.


2012
 


2 comments:

elizabeth turner said...

I am a tad bit overweight myself and most people will say "but you are cute though to be that size." I mean, when you know better, you do better. Now, that I know that these are considered to be microaggressions, I will not say anything to anyone else about size because I know how it makes me feel.

cutepreschoolers said...

Microaggressions are subtle, unintentional and may go unnoticed. However, the recipients gets the effects of the hidden message and it may affect him/her psychological, affect his/her spirit, and in some case affects the person physically.