Saturday, April 14, 2012

Welcoming Families from Around the World

In preparing myself for a child who came from Africa into the child care facility I would research the country where the child and their family has come from on their customs, culture  ,traditions, food and clothing choices. I would also inform the staff so that everyone would be aware as everyone must be involved to make the whole family comfortable and welcomed and to make their transition smoother. Additionally I would have the teacher incorporate lessons on the country of Africa so the other students will know about the child entering the class. Pairing the child with a buddy would help the child to make him/her feel part of the class. I would provide resources for the family upon the needs that they may have.
http://media2.explore.org/images/video-play-button.png                               http://explore.org/images/2322/82/46/y/endangered-animals.jpg

5 comments:

Schlee Pulido said...

Debra –
It appears you are completely prepared for the necessary actions that would make a child’s transition into you care facility more comfortable. I love your though of providing a classroom buddy for the child so, that they could have another child helping them transition as well. It is also, important to make sure that all staff is prepared for the child’s entry too. Thank you for your insights ☺
Schlee

Joey Mazzei said...

Debra,
I didn't think of using the "buddy system" to help transition a new student into the classroom - good idea. I think making new students feel welcome is at the base of enhancing a smooth transition into a new environment whether the student moved from a different city or country.
Joey

elizabeth turner said...

I like the idea that you would make preparations for the children in the classroom by giving them an overview of the student's background. I think that this will help them to welcome the African student with open arms.

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing, I think it is very important for educators to have some background of a child of a different origin. I think it is important for educators to have some background on all of their students to help will building an effective relationship for a positive learning environment.

cutepreschoolers said...

Pairing a new student with a buddy helps a new students feel welcomed to the school and helps develop the much needed friendship for a new student. We are using this strategy in my school and it is working.