Saturday, September 22, 2012


                                                     “My Role as an Advocate”

My motivation to work with young children began when I entered the field of early childhood  approximately 20 years ago and saw how inexperienced teachers interacted with children they were responsible  for and how parents treated their children because they did not have good parenting skills and the knowledge of rearing and teaching young children.  It also brought back memories of my own life and how many things I did wrong as a parent because I too did not have the knowledge of early childhood development.

Whether it is a mico or  macro level , any effort that a person can make ,makes a a difference no matter even if they pass of flyers to an advocacy event or help to organize it, every thing helps and is needed to make a difference in the lives of others make it better.

 
I believe in order to be a community leader on early childhood issues one needs to stay abreast of what is happening in the field  from  being knowledgeable of state, local and federal laws and regulations as well as the needs of the community. Knowing how children learn and develop so that it can be articulated to the community so that when you advocate and ask for needed funding you will have a better chance of getting it if you know how to ask and answer questions.

I believe that the resources needed in order to be a state leader on early childhood issues  is for that individual to  be knowledgeable of early childhood development the regulations, laws and policies of child care and young  children and their needs in order to function and succeed for life are essential and be willing to  campaign to get other leaders on board for the cause.

 Tactics and strategies I have used to mobilize others is that I keep individual
s abreast of new issues on policies and news that come up from Minimum Standards, Head Start and other areas of education/child development I send emails, share I staff meeting’s as well as be available to rally for the cause of advocating and  when other see my passion they want to be involved as well.   
 
Advice I would give to someone who was interested in taking a leadership role in advocating for young children and their families  is to be passionate about the work, communicate ,listen to the issue and concerns, be willing to continue learning of new and innovative ideas to share with others and always keep what is best for the  child and family as the guiding force and understanding that one person can make a difference in the life of a child and their family. 
 

2 comments:

Robin said...

Great post! I agree that every little bit of assistance anyone can give is a great help when advocating. This is one of the reasons why I feel so strongly about parent/guardian involvement in my program. These individuals are their children's first teachers and know these children better than anyone. By showing everyone the respect they deserve, they will more than likely help in anyway they can.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about having the knowledge of state and local governments. It is something I am learning throughout this degree. I never figured the impact this knowledge would have. I recently used research in a conversation with my boss, felt powerful!