Saturday, November 5, 2011

Establishing Professional Contacts & Expanding Resources

This week I have registered for two organizations that Advocate on the behalf of children .One is Harlem’s Children Zone. I have seen stories and television interest stories about this program and I think the program does a lot of wonderful things to enhance the lives of children .I also signed the email list to get information on the National Black Child Development institute. I am excited in learning about these two programs and hope to share valuable information in the upcoming weeks with everyone who sign’s in on my blog. Additionally I have sent an email requesting to communicate with someone from UNICEF that is in another country. I have not gotten a reply yet, but I am hopeful. I am interested in how the other parts of the world advocate for children and their rights as well as educationally what their system looks like. I am really excited about the possibility of getting to communicate with someone from another country! Wish me luck!

History of National Black Child Development Institite

Celebrating 40 years of Service to Children & Families
In recent historical memory, the 1960’s stand as a seminal time when social change was high on the political and social agendas of this country. It stands as an era when everyday citizens believed not only that it was time for change, but also that change was really possible. People everywhere rallied, believing that through their actions it would be possible to achieve a transformed society where fairness and equal treatment would produce widespread improvement in the quality of life for everyone.
Into this climate the National Black Child Development Institute was born. Conceived by the Black Women’s Community Development Foundation whose concerns were that of the unsatisfactory conditions faced by families wanting to rear healthy children, they decided to organize a national advocacy group. In 1970, the Institute was incorporated and the work began to organize groups within communities as a basis for creating a unified national voice to develop strategies to improve the life circumstances of the developing Black child through policy change. Since 1970, the National the National Black Child Development Institute (NBCDI) has remained steadfast in its mission –“To improve and advance the lives of black children and their families through education and advocacy.” With a focus on early childhood education, child welfare, elementary and secondary education, and health, the Institute accomplishes this mission by:
1) Serving as a vital information resource to all individuals who work directly with children, in particular child care professionals, educators, parents, social workers and academicians; and
2) Providing direct services at the local level through its nationwide affiliate network composed of volunteers, who work in concert with the Institute to improve child welfare services, provide access to universal early care and education, build family support services, and provide vital information on children’s health.



Harlems Children ZOne

THeir moto is "Changing the Odds"
Through a coordinated effort by hundreds of devoted men and women, The Harlem Children's Zone has established a new method to end of generational cycle of generational poverty. By addressing the needs of the entire community, HCZ isn't HCZ isn't simply helping children beat the odds, it's helping to change the odds.

6 comments:

Mrs Van Meter said...

Thank you for sharing about Harlem's Children Zone and the National Black Child Development institute. I really like your blog I find it very professional and informative.

elizabeth turner said...

I have heard great things about the Harlem Children Zone and I can not wait to hear about all the great things that they are doing in the community to ensure that children are learning.

Fawn Thomas said...

Debra,

I also choose Harlem Children's Zone. I am interested in their work to end poverty for children and I am from New York. I found your post to very informative.

Fawn Thomas said...

I also choose Harlem Children's Zone. I am interested in their work to end poverty for children and I am from New York. I found your post to very informative.

mary said...

I really enjoyed your post and I am excited for you to become involved with others in the field. Communicating with individuals, who have a passion for helping children and families, will surely strengthen your desire to make a difference n the lives of others.

mary said...

Debra, Thank you for your informative and inspiring post. I was around during the sixties, and was involved in the changes that occurred, to impprove the education of Black children. In fact I wa sin junior high, when de-segragation was brought, to our smalll town in Tennessee. The major problem in our case, wa sthat children had been taught to fear people whose skin wa sa diferent color.